Random questions to which you seek an answer
-
@northsouthdenimguy loved my Girbauds in the 80’s. Will try to dig up a pic.
Also, please tell me who did a pinched and rolled cuff…
-
I probably shouldn't question it and just buy stuff... But has there been a price drop to a lot of items on the IHUK website today? (at least in GBP)
-
Probably. we were just sorting out a discrepancy in cur fixed currency conversion rates. We used to have real time conversions, but people got confused/pissed off because all the prices in our non-base currency would change from day to day. So now we fix, and chage when the currency/currencies move significantly.
-
@northsouthdenimguy Seeing Girbaud, reminds me of my favorite pair of Guess jeans

-
@SKT Definitely a pinched and rolled cuff guy in the summer months of the late 80’s / early 90’s

-
Not sure if anybody else was doing this, but some of my buddies were wearing those Guess jeans with the zippers on the sides that were actually women’s jeans at the time.

@SKT Oh, and I definitely pinched and cuffed my jeans
-
Not sure if this belongs in the specific GAH thread, random rants, or somewhere else, but figured I'd try here first.
I have a GAH curb chain that I've had for about 4 years now. I wear it every single day, sleep in it, shower in it, run in it, swim in it, etc. It's not ALL the time, but maybe 3-4 times a year the clasp just somehow undoes itself. I've had a couple good scares where it has fallen off and I've thought it was lost forever, and a few times where I've just happened to look down and see it like the photo below.
It's happened when wearing thick denim long sleeves that it could snag on, and in summer when wearing short sleeves that don't touch it. It's happened when stacked with another bracelet that could snag on it, and when worn by itself on a wrist. I've also tried it on different wrists and facing the opposite direction. The clasp closes nice and snug and doesn't come apart when pulled on by hand. I'm at the point where I don't want to wear it for fear of losing it (again) but don't want to let it go because it's one of the few GAH pieces that I feel I can pull off (no pun intended).
Ugh.

-
@chrisjohnnick definitely worth reaching out to GA (even if you didn't get it directly from them) and seeing if they have any suggestions. They are a very nice bunch who take pride in their work so if the clasp is failing, they would certainly hear you out
-
@Tago-Mago great question. From what I’ve been reading it’s been a bit of a logistical nightmare to get into and visit, but would love to hear a first hand account!
-
@Tago-Mago best of luck and hope you get in to see it! I wouldn’t mind seeing it myself.
-
@Tago-Mago I haven’t and reports of the experience have put me off (although it should be better if/when you make it over). I also got to see one of the full-size photographic prints from 1873 when I saw the Tim Walker: Wonderful Things exhibition a few years ago (it was the inspiration behind his Soldiers of Tomorrow series) where there were no museum staff with cattle prods.
-
@Tago-Mago apparently Mary Beard is on the case, so there’s hope!
-
I don't know much about the exhibition in London, but I’ve seen the Bayeux Tapestry, and I thought it was amazing. It’s incredibly detailed and a fascinating experience. You walk along it like a sort of oversized medieval comic strip—plus there’s all the historical significance regarding the Normanization of Great Britain. I just thought it was fantastic.
-
Aetas said in the (new) endomobile:
@endo said in the (new) endomobile:
… where we saw the Bayeux Tapestry

This Tapestry is mindblowing!
Walked once back and force and back again and couldn’t believe how much information you can knit into one piece!Be aware @Tago-Mago , that there is an important difference in presentation between Bayeux and London.

Friends told me, that it is is a total difference experience to see it not hanging at a wall.

