• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Books

    Hobbies and Pastimes
    158
    1.1k
    387.0k
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GilesG
      Giles
      IHUK Crew
      Joined:

      Thank you. Funnily enough, we had friends around for dinner. Richard loves books, so I told him about Finding Endurance, and how much it had affected me and how much I loved it. I used the example of the finite and infinite game, as one of fundamental things I had learned from the book.

      He took my copy home with him.

      "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
      • endoE
        endo
        見習いボス
        Joined:

        Bildschirmfoto 2026-04-28 um 22.19.16.png

        My personal Mumbai/India trilogy. Only if anyone is interested and wants to read about 2000 pages of exquisite literature.

        si tacuisses

        last edited by goosehdG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 6
        • goosehdG
          goosehd
          Mod Squad
          @endo
          Joined:

          @endo I enjoyed Shantaram and found it a good recreational read. Well written and hard to discern reality from embellishments. I have thought about picking up the following book, but have heard mixed reviews.

          “our policy of no discussions regarding politics, religion, asparagus, and other controversial issues.” - Andrew

          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
          • endoE
            endo
            見習いボス
            Joined:

            @goosehd I wouldn't call Shantaram the strongest of the three, but I just read it and enjoyed it. It took me back to the 90s when I read the other two and then spent some time in Mumbai on a trip from Istanbul to Goa, especially at 'Leopold's Cafe'.

            si tacuisses

            last edited by endo 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
            • KarolK
              Karol
              啓蒙家
              Joined:

              Another read of this awesome diary. But finally first time in paper form.

              IMG_1545.jpeg

              Favorite:
              IH-888S-21 | IH-888-XHSib | IH-805 | IH-729-PUR | IH-555-SST-BLK | IH-555S-25MB
              IHSH-339-SAX | IHSH-293-OD | IHSH-362-BLK | IHSH-409-IB | IHSH-336-OD | IHSB-BIGBUCK-BLK | IHSB-PR-NAT
              IHV-44-BLK | IHV-02-BLK
              IHJ-75-BLK | IHJ-79-BLK | IHM-37-ODG

              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
              • nurunuruN
                nurunuru
                Joined:

                20260514_120514.jpg

                Anyone else subjected themselves to this? It is, for the most part, competently written. The unpleasantness is so unrelenting that one becomes pretty much inured to it by the last third or so. I don't regret reading it, per se, but it is a miserable bloody thing that I am glad to be done with. I don't know why it exists and couldn't really recommend it.

                Now I'm reading some Jeeves and Wooster. Way better 😄

                last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                • KarolK
                  Karol
                  啓蒙家
                  Joined:

                  I finally got my hands on probably the only copy available is Sweden. I was searching online in vain for years. Libraries rule!

                  IMG_1616.jpeg

                  Favorite:
                  IH-888S-21 | IH-888-XHSib | IH-805 | IH-729-PUR | IH-555-SST-BLK | IH-555S-25MB
                  IHSH-339-SAX | IHSH-293-OD | IHSH-362-BLK | IHSH-409-IB | IHSH-336-OD | IHSB-BIGBUCK-BLK | IHSB-PR-NAT
                  IHV-44-BLK | IHV-02-BLK
                  IHJ-75-BLK | IHJ-79-BLK | IHM-37-ODG

                  last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                  • endoE
                    endo
                    見習いボス
                    Joined:

                    IMG_9311.jpeg

                    si tacuisses

                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                    • AetasA
                      Aetas
                      見習いボス
                      Joined:

                      IMG_6971.jpeg

                      Erich Kästner-Going to the Dogs: The Story of a Moralist.

                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                      • steelworkerS
                        steelworker
                        見習いボス
                        Joined:

                        IMG_5067.jpeg

                        Horrific.

                        Those are my principles, and if you don't like them…
                        Well, I have others.

                        last edited by SKTS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 4
                        • SKTS
                          SKT
                          見習いボス
                          @steelworker
                          Joined:

                          @steelworker adding it to the list

                          Rampant Hemmer
                          WTB: IHSH-308-IND large

                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                          • GilesG
                            Giles
                            IHUK Crew
                            Joined:

                            Ordered, I might say with some trepidation.......

                            "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                            last edited by steelworkerS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                            • steelworkerS
                              steelworker
                              見習いボス
                              @Giles
                              Joined:

                              @Giles

                              IMG_5095.jpeg

                              After that you may find his memoir of ww2 interesting .
                              Thats the writer on both jackets
                              Luck for us he wasn’t one of the slaughtered

                              Those are my principles, and if you don't like them…
                              Well, I have others.

                              last edited by steelworker 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                              • GilesG
                                Giles
                                IHUK Crew
                                Joined:

                                Thank you

                                "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                                last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                • KarolK
                                  Karol
                                  啓蒙家
                                  Joined:

                                  Digital copy only but maybe one day I will find a paper one in some library.

                                  IMG_1876.jpeg

                                  Favorite:
                                  IH-888S-21 | IH-888-XHSib | IH-805 | IH-729-PUR | IH-555-SST-BLK | IH-555S-25MB
                                  IHSH-339-SAX | IHSH-293-OD | IHSH-362-BLK | IHSH-409-IB | IHSH-336-OD | IHSB-BIGBUCK-BLK | IHSB-PR-NAT
                                  IHV-44-BLK | IHV-02-BLK
                                  IHJ-75-BLK | IHJ-79-BLK | IHM-37-ODG

                                  last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                  • ShaunS
                                    Shaun
                                    IHUK Crew
                                    Joined:

                                    Slightly unusual suggestion I suppose based on the calibre of the books usually posted here but, my partner and I have been reading the “Dungeon Crawler Carl” series this year and (aside from the fact that it keeps us spending time together despite her living 600 miles away) I think it may well be one of the most enjoyable works of literary fiction in existence.

                                    If you’re ever looking for a bit of escapism that won’t talk down to you and doesn’t take itself too seriously then I cannot recommend this more enthusiastically 🙂

                                    Screenshot 2026-08-27 at 16.57.52.png

                                    Im just happy to be here ^_^

                                    last edited by S 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 4
                                    • mclaincauseyM
                                      mclaincausey
                                      見習いボス
                                      Joined:

                                      I wanted to get into that one but LitRPG is not for me. Much respect for the writer and all his success. My recent obsession is Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Children of Time series. On the latest, 4th, installment and love them and the narrator’s lovely English accent and character impersonations on Audible. Great sci fi for the nerds.

                                      Think it, be it.

                                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                      • S
                                        sabergirl
                                        見習いボス
                                        @Shaun
                                        Joined:

                                        @Shaun Princess Donut is one of the best book characters of all time! I whipped through the whole series in a few months. Love it ❤️

                                        last edited by ShaunS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                        • ShaunS
                                          Shaun
                                          IHUK Crew
                                          @sabergirl
                                          Joined:

                                          @sabergirl I couldn't agree more! Please no spoilers as we're only on book 7 at the moment 😅

                                          Im just happy to be here ^_^

                                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          Copyright Iron Heart 2025.