• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Parenting

    Hobbies and Pastimes
    73
    804
    148.5k
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GoodtimeJohnnyG
      GoodtimeJohnny
      Raw and Unwashed
      @maple_texas
      Joined:

      @maple_texas You really do have to prepare for the unexpected and be ready for it to not happen all while staying calm, nonthreateneing, and collected. I love my conversations with them now because they'll tell you something amazing happening like you would talk to a friend or coworker but in the back of my head I still hear the little kid voice explaining why they should stay up! It's truly an honor to be my kids Dad by far the best adventure I've ever been on and it's still going 20 years later!

      last edited by maple_texasM 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
      • northsouthdenimguyN
        northsouthdenimguy
        啓蒙家
        Joined:

        I suppose my generation, Gen X, and the ones around it definitely coddle their kids more than the Baby Boomers did, but I just saw one of the most ridiculous examples I’ve seen in a long time.

        I built a little pocket neighborhood across from a private school on a very quiet side street. It’s really only busy during school carpool. One of the residents in the neighborhood just drove her child to school.

        The entrance to the school parking lot is maybe 500 feet from their house, and even once you get into the parking lot, the school itself is probably only another few hundred feet.

        This child isn’t 8 or 9. He’s a 14 year old boy who is taller than I am. 🤣

        I’m pretty sure at 14 I would have been embarrassed if my parents even offered to drive me that distance.

        Edit: because I have to figure out everything in my life. I just walked it. It was 217 steps.

        @selveldgesteps

        last edited by northsouthdenimguy GilesG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • maple_texasM
          maple_texas
          Raw and Unwashed
          @GoodtimeJohnny
          Joined:

          @GoodtimeJohnny sounds amazing. This is the wildest journey I’ve ever embarked upon.

          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
          • americanathreadsA
            americanathreads
            Raw and Unwashed
            @maple_texas
            Joined:

            @maple_texas really appreciate the comment, man!

            I work in our family business so it’s a little bit complex. I’ll take 4 weeks and then soon after it’s Christmas so I might nearly get 6-8 weeks close together.

            Yes trying to imagine that feeling and meeting him right now feels so abstract. Anticipating how big a moment is right around the corner is hard to wrap the head around!

            last edited by maple_texasM GoodtimeJohnnyG 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 1
            • maple_texasM
              maple_texas
              Raw and Unwashed
              @americanathreads
              Joined:

              @americanathreads For sure, abstract is the best way to put it. I was the same way.

              True story: when my wife was pregnant, i was looking at our dogs and thinking, “How could a baby be more cute than a puppy?” I just didn’t understand. Of course, I was just in the dark. I think it’s because I’d only ever known other people’s babies and it’s just not even close to the same thing, at least for me.

              When someone would bring a baby to the office, I was never the one to run up and look. Now it’s the opposite, but if I’m being honest, it’s mostly because it reminds me of my kids. Even all this talk is bringing me back.

              Totally get that everyone’s work situation is different, but that’s a big chunk of time. I hope the best for you man! Talking about this just brings me back. Hope you can share a pic of the little dude!

              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
              • EdHE
                EdH
                Iron Heart Deity
                @americanathreads
                Joined:

                @americanathreads said in Parenting:

                If anyone has any good recommendations around birth/newborn phase that would be great.

                In my experience, newborns do 3 things: Eat, sleep, and crap. Mum will take care of Eat. You can help with sleep and crap to help out Mum. Keep Mum happy and she'll keep baby happy and then you'll be happy.

                Get out as much as possible in the first 4-6 months. Until around then, they're basically potatoes and are surprisingly easy to take places.

                Take the dive...

                last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 4
                • BrianB
                  Brian
                  Joined:

                  Echo the above really
                  If possible when the baby sleeps try to sleep also, I think I ran on empty for the first few weeks Jacob was home from the hospital but he was a prem baby and did 6 weeks in the hospital after birth

                  Oh and nappies wipes etc got pretty expensive

                  Also don’t listen to the sales people in the baby stores, I think I could have kitted out a wardrobe with only IH for all the stuff we got told we needed and in reality didn’t at all

                  last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                  • steelworkerS
                    steelworker
                    見習いボス
                    @maple_texas
                    Joined:

                    @maple_texas nobody knows what they’re doing, that’s what makes it so sporty

                    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them…
                    Well, I have others.

                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • GoodtimeJohnnyG
                      GoodtimeJohnny
                      Raw and Unwashed
                      @americanathreads
                      Joined:

                      @americanathreads Best job you'll ever have, and the fct they all have their own personalities is what makes it spicy and fun!

                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • D
                        Darth-fader
                        Raw and Unwashed
                        Joined:

                        As a fan of iron heart does anyone else feel totally overdressed doing the school run?😂

                        last edited by Darth-fader 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                        • americanathreadsA
                          americanathreads
                          Raw and Unwashed
                          Joined:

                          Really appreciate the comments and well wishes. Our boy Ezra was born on Tuesday morning, much to our surprise about 12 days early. Really is an incredible thing to experience! I hope he turns out to be an IH XL so he can make use of some heirloom pieces 😅

                          IMG_5566.jpeg
                          IMG_5557.jpeg

                          last edited by GraemeEG goosehdG 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 7
                          • GilesG
                            Giles
                            IHUK Crew
                            @northsouthdenimguy
                            Joined:

                            @northsouthdenimguy said in Parenting:

                            I just walked it. It was 217 steps.

                            FFS

                            "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                            last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                            • GraemeEG
                              GraemeE
                              @americanathreads
                              Joined:

                              @americanathreads congrats and mazel tov

                              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                              • goosehdG
                                goosehd
                                Mod Squad
                                @americanathreads
                                Joined:

                                @americanathreads Congratulations to all of you! Enjoy 🙂

                                “our policy of no discussions regarding politics, religion, asparagus, and other controversial issues.” - Andrew

                                last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                Copyright Iron Heart 2025.