• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Build Notes (New Construction, Older Homes, Renovations, Interesting Finishing and Details)

    General Chat
    18
    84
    3.6k
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic was forked from WHAT ARE YOU DOING TODAY - WAYDT (PICS) goosehd
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • northsouthdenimguyN
      northsouthdenimguy
      啓蒙家
      @goosehd
      Joined:

      @goosehd

      This is perfect🤘

      @selveldgesteps

      last edited by ROmanR 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
      • dirtyframerD
        dirtyframer
        Haraki san Expert
        Joined:

        Im going to enjoy this thread! (General Contractor here)

        IG: mgm.woodworks & denim_n_boots

        "Every day work harder on yourself than you do at work."

        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • ROmanR
          ROman
          Haraki san Prodigy
          @northsouthdenimguy
          Joined:

          @northsouthdenimguy Its great watching your project, which look amazing. I also enjoy this thread.

          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
          • GilesG
            Giles
            IHUK Crew
            Joined:

            Here is the commentary on the addition to our house......

            "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

            last edited by Giles 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • GilesG
              Giles
              IHUK Crew
              Joined:

              @northsouthdenimguy Great buildings.....

              "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
              • northsouthdenimguyN
                northsouthdenimguy
                啓蒙家
                Joined:

                Here’s a handful of shots from a house I completed almost two years ago. It took my client and friend about 18 months to sell. Beautiful house and, in my opinion, well worth the original asking price, but it just hit that weird timing with interest rates and the slowdown we started to see toward the end of 2024 here in the U.S.

                It’s approximately 5,200 square feet finished, with another roughly 900 square feet over the garage that could be finished.

                I’ll pull together some other pictures at some point. I posted this house a while back in one of the threads, but it’s a pretty cool project. I’ve known this particular client for 21 years, and this was the fourth house I’ve built for him. We’re actually working on getting another one going on the adjacent property he owns, which is approximately six acres. This one sits on about eight acres.

                Really great guy and a great client. He enjoys the process and is very creative. We’ll typically use an designer, but he and I tend to tweak things ourselves as we go. I’ve always enjoyed working on projects with him. So much so that he always gets the friends-and-family discount on my fees. At least on the last two, lol.

                IMG_0169.jpeg
                74482184964__DBA98F14-7F21-424C-B7FC-76B780C5EEC6.jpeg
                IMG_2893.jpeg
                IMG_2897.jpeg
                IMG_3193.jpeg

                @selveldgesteps

                last edited by dirtyframerD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 9
                • dirtyframerD
                  dirtyframer
                  Haraki san Expert
                  @northsouthdenimguy
                  Joined:

                  @northsouthdenimguy beautiful house and property!

                  IG: mgm.woodworks & denim_n_boots

                  "Every day work harder on yourself than you do at work."

                  last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                  • northsouthdenimguyN
                    northsouthdenimguy
                    啓蒙家
                    @dirtyframer
                    Joined:

                    @dirtyframer

                    Thanks! I have some better pictures somewhere, but I need to get better at putting things into folders…

                    @selveldgesteps

                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • ChokoC
                      Choko
                      Iron Heart Deity
                      Joined:

                      Love that hexagon tile in the second bath 🔥

                      Less is more

                      last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                      • northsouthdenimguyN
                        northsouthdenimguy
                        啓蒙家
                        @Choko
                        Joined:

                        @Choko

                        I’m a big fan of hex floor tiles for smaller baths. We did it in the bath that serves as the powder in our own home.

                        Horrible pic lol. It’s actually different-colored marble, but in this picture it looks like linoleum.

                        IMG_1905italicised text.jpeg

                        @selveldgesteps

                        last edited by northsouthdenimguy ChokoC 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                        • northsouthdenimguyN
                          northsouthdenimguy
                          啓蒙家
                          Joined:

                          Edit: should’ve put this at the beginning originally, but where these homes really shine, at least for me, is two or three years down the road when the landscaping has filled in, the vines have grown, and everything starts to develop a little patina and age. Even when the house is technically finished, it never really feels completely done. That evolution is part of the process.

                          Here are some details from the house with a small pool. This is a mahogany gate to the pool equipment. The wall is a 4” cement block with 3-coat European hard coat stucco. Notice the little radius or semi radius on top of the wall, looks nice and helps to shed water. Same detail they were supposed to do on the water feature monument, so it would look less like a headstone. Still debating whether I’m going to get them to fix that or not. The guy’s shook their head like they understood what I was telling them to do and they proceed to not do it. I can’t totally blame them because so much of how I build is “off the cuff” sketched on pieces of paper, not architectural drawings. More often than not just something mentioned in the field.

                          IMG_5258.jpeg
                          IMG_5255.jpeg

                          This is another mahogany built detail. The louvered screen lets in a little light while also blocking the view of the neighbor’s HVAC condenser. Fortunately, their condenser is whisper quiet.

                          This is actually next to the front door at the terrace level. Since they chose not to build the stairs going up to the main level, it was important not only to screen this area but also to make it attractive. It would have been easy and more cost effective to simply extend the masonry wall or fill this in with siding, but this gives the area a much more intentional finished look.

                          IMG_5256.jpeg

                          Below is the opposite end of the terrace-level porch area. The metal screen was fabricated by a guy I’ve been using for over 20 years. When my landscaper does the house next door, they’ll plant a creeping vine here, and the gardener who maintains everything will weave the vine through the screen as it grows. Eventually, this will become a green living wall.

                          IMG_5257.jpeg

                          After acid washing the PebbleTec this morning, the pool is now being filled. With the darker color, surrounding landscaping, and the colors of the home, it should end up having more of a lagoon feel to it.

                          And after asking my pool contractor about half a dozen times, supposedly they’re putting the water feature spout on today, but I won’t hold my breath…

                          IMG_5253.jpeg

                          @selveldgesteps

                          last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 6
                          • ChokoC
                            Choko
                            Iron Heart Deity
                            @northsouthdenimguy
                            Joined:

                            @northsouthdenimguy that’s a great idea doing that in a smaller bath. I’m actually about to redo a bathroom at my house soon and I’m gonna consider this. We have a marble look stone hexagonal backsplash in our kitchen and it looks so good. One of my favorite things in my house

                            Less is more

                            last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                            • northsouthdenimguyN
                              northsouthdenimguy
                              啓蒙家
                              Joined:

                              The pool is filled and some shitty interior shots. Don’t have time to set up for this, will have some more professional ones done later today. Keep in mind this is the client selections, which I think are very tasteful, but may not be everybody’s cup of tea.

                              Fingers crossed it’s closing on Monday was supposed to close today. Daddy needs a closing. I haven’t had one since October of last year….

                              IMG_5299.jpeg
                              IMG_5300.jpeg
                              IMG_5302.jpeg
                              IMG_5303.jpeg
                              IMG_5304.jpeg
                              IMG_5308.jpeg
                              IMG_5310.jpeg

                              @selveldgesteps

                              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 5
                              • northsouthdenimguyN
                                northsouthdenimguy
                                啓蒙家
                                Joined:

                                A few little things that drive me crazy on these final punch days.

                                One, the painters were here yesterday afternoon and still completely missed the spots around a duplex light switch. In their defense, the electrician had to add a switch at the last minute for the client, but still, it needs to get done.

                                Two, I’m going through the house cleaning little specks of drywall mud off the hardwood floors from some last-minute repairs. The cleaners came through this morning and did a good job overall, but definitely didn’t get everything 100%. I don’t really have to be doing it myself, but I’m kind of bored and my project manager is here knocking out some other punch items, so I’m just going through things.

                                And then, of course, there’s this light hanging down directly in front of the elevator door. I opened the elevator and almost destroyed the damn thing. Nobody told me the client was apparently OK with it hanging this low and actually wanted it this way, which makes absolutely no sense to me. So we’re zip-tying it up out of the way until they move in before somebody destroys a very expensive light fixture.

                                Edit: and the spout is still not on the pool water feature as promised yesterday, imagine that…

                                IMG_5313.jpeg
                                IMG_5315.jpeg
                                IMG_5314.jpeg

                                @selveldgesteps

                                last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                                • northsouthdenimguyN
                                  northsouthdenimguy
                                  啓蒙家
                                  Joined:

                                  A few curves

                                  IMG_5317.jpeg
                                  IMG_5318.jpeg
                                  IMG_5319.jpeg

                                  @selveldgesteps

                                  last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 7
                                  • GilesG
                                    Giles
                                    IHUK Crew
                                    Joined:

                                    Fantastic

                                    "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                                    last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                    • AnesthetistA
                                      Anesthetist
                                      見習いボス
                                      Joined:

                                      Gorgeous lines!

                                      IG: bluehandsslim

                                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                      • northsouthdenimguyN
                                        northsouthdenimguy
                                        啓蒙家
                                        @Giles
                                        Joined:

                                        @Giles thanks! Appreciate the comment. I know you have a keen eye.

                                        @Anesthetist 🙏🤘

                                        @selveldgesteps

                                        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                        • AnesthetistA
                                          Anesthetist
                                          見習いボス
                                          Joined:

                                          Our first house in the city had an amazing fireplace and etched hardwood floors.
                                          The pattern matched the argyle stained glass windows. It must have been an absolute pain in the ass for whoever did it.

                                          IMG_3330.jpeg
                                          IMG_6520.jpeg

                                          IG: bluehandsslim

                                          last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                                          • northsouthdenimguyN
                                            northsouthdenimguy
                                            啓蒙家
                                            @Anesthetist
                                            Joined:

                                            @Anesthetist

                                            Great detailing. The person who does all of our exterior detailing and quite a bit of the interior actually hand sketches all of these types of details to scale. He’ll take something like this, not copy it exactly, but pull the general idea from it and work it into a newer plan. It’s funny because every time he does something I’ll think it looks familiar, then months later I’ll be traveling somewhere and realize, that mf’er, that’s where he got it from.

                                            Other than some of the really extreme modern stuff, I don’t know how much in residential architecture is truly new. Most of it has some connection to things people were already doing 70, 100, 150 years ago, sometimes way before that. Even Arts and Crafts and mid century modern were still borrowing from older ideas. Really it’s just taking those things, changing them around a little and making them work for what you’re building now.

                                            @selveldgesteps

                                            last edited by ConBuC 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Copyright Iron Heart 2025.