• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Build Notes (New Construction, Older Homes, Renovations, Interesting Finishing and Details)

    General Chat
    18
    84
    3.6k
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic was forked from WHAT ARE YOU DOING TODAY - WAYDT (PICS) goosehd
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GilesG
      Giles
      IHUK Crew
      Joined:

      Go Fernando.....

      "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • Tago MagoT
        Tago Mago
        Mod Squad
        @northsouthdenimguy
        Joined:

        @northsouthdenimguy so what you’re saying is, if you had to do it all again you would with your friend Fernando?

        last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • northsouthdenimguyN
          northsouthdenimguy
          啓蒙家
          @Tago Mago
          Joined:

          @Tago-Mago

          I know I should probably edit… I’m putting the stuff together while I’m working it comes out pretty funny sometimes🤣

          Fixed it 🤦🏻‍♂️🫡

          @selveldgesteps

          last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
          • northsouthdenimguyN
            northsouthdenimguy
            啓蒙家
            Joined:

            I was going to say I’m about to lose it, but I think I’ve already lost it.

            I can probably blame myself to some extent, but I went over the footing depths for this little mono-slab garden shed(and the other not pictured ) it’s only about 6’ x 10’. Yes, it’s getting weathered granite stone on it, but we’re still talking about a very small structure.

            For perspective, the top of the stake at the back left corner is top of slab.

            I definitely do not need 4’ of turned-down concrete footing under this thing. I asked them to go roughly a foot below existing grade because I’m going to be backfilling around most of it anyway.

            To make it even better, both garden shed locations had previously been opened up probably 8–10’ deep for the sewer installation, so I already knew I was going to have to carry the corners down to competent soil with deep foundation piers anyway.

            The whole point was to avoid doing that AND pouring a ridiculous amount of extra concrete.

            So naturally, now they’re filling half of it back in. 😂

            On a happier note, the thermal bluestone is down and the coping is going around the pool on this house that’s closing at the end of October.

            Not super noticeable, but there’s a metal track that runs around the perimeter of the pool for an automatic rigid pool cover.

            IMG_6085.jpeg

            IMG_6066.jpeg
            IMG_6067.jpeg
            IMG_6070.jpeg
            IMG_6029.jpeg

            @selveldgesteps

            last edited by northsouthdenimguy GoodtimeJohnnyG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
            • northsouthdenimguyN
              northsouthdenimguy
              啓蒙家
              Joined:

              A lot of exterior detail finishing up this week.

              On one of the houses I’m building, we had an old 20 x 40 carport that was probably close to 100 years old. We removed all of the old framing but kept the original stone foundation. We added deep foundation piers along the perimeter on the interior to support the new slab.

              All of the trusses bear on the exterior walls, so there are no real interior loads. We poured the new slab over the old stone foundation, but rather than covering the old stone, we finished the concrete down to it with a three-coat European hardcoat stucco.

              The whole idea was to keep that old stone exposed. Give it a few years, probably less, and I think it’ll look like it’s been this way for 100 years.

              IMG_6296.jpeg
              IMG_6252.jpeg
              IMG_6182.jpeg
              IMG_6158.jpeg

              @selveldgesteps

              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
              • northsouthdenimguyN
                northsouthdenimguy
                啓蒙家
                Joined:

                The guys are about to wrap up the bluestone around this pool, just finishing up the little door well going into the garage.

                Still shooting for end of October closing date, although waiting on cabinets for two areas above the garage and the bathroom cabinets for the gym bath.

                I have a giant granite water(8’ x 5’) feature that’s about 7 inches too tall. Measured everything months ago, but I made the mistake of not making sure the siding guy started his first course at the correct height. So my mason is taking it back to the granite company to have 7 inches cut off the bottom.
                They’re also going to cut it into thirds since the damn thing is way too heavy to set in place as one piece. Figured since it’s going back anyway, might as well let the professionals handle it. Once it’s reassembled, you’ll barely be able to see the seams. It’s going on the far end of the pool that backs up to the garage. There’s a PVC spout seen in pic that’s about 5 feet off the pool coping. Of we will have to adjust that pipe down 7 inches now but it’s OK. It’ll be covered by the Granite when complete and doesn’t need to look pretty.

                IMG_6414.jpeg
                IMG_6416.jpeg
                IMG_6415.jpeg
                IMG_6445.jpeg

                IMG_6377.jpeg
                81075146677__F8D73FA4-426C-404D-926F-30D5F99EB3F3.jpeg

                @selveldgesteps

                last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                • northsouthdenimguyN
                  northsouthdenimguy
                  啓蒙家
                  Joined:

                  Door well is complete. The French pattern makes it a little tricky with the drain. There is possibly a better way to do it, but in this situation function far outweighs form.

                  IMG_6460.jpeg
                  IMG_6459.jpeg
                  IMG_6461.jpeg

                  Stone drain cap

                  IMG_6461.jpeg

                  @selveldgesteps

                  last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                  • northsouthdenimguyN
                    northsouthdenimguy
                    啓蒙家
                    Joined:

                    One thing I wanted to mention, and part of why I enjoy posting this stuff, is that all the bluestone work, the transitions, drain locations throughout the main patio and window well, and how everything ties together is figured out on site by my mason and me.
                    There are no architectural or engineered drawings for any of this. It’s all experience, a little trial and error, figuring out what we think is aesthetically pleasing, what’s going to function properly, and how to make it all come together. Mix all that together, and this is what you get. It’s one of the things I still really enjoy about building after all these years.

                    @selveldgesteps

                    last edited by catdad1C 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                    • catdad1C
                      catdad1
                      Raw and Unwashed
                      @northsouthdenimguy
                      Joined:

                      @northsouthdenimguy that's interesting! That's a lot of liability to take on from a builder standpoint but sounds like you got it down

                      last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                      • northsouthdenimguyN
                        northsouthdenimguy
                        啓蒙家
                        @catdad1
                        Joined:

                        @catdad1

                        Please don’t remind me and say that quietly next time as my General Liability carrier might hear you… 😉

                        @selveldgesteps

                        last edited by catdad1C 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                        • catdad1C
                          catdad1
                          Raw and Unwashed
                          @northsouthdenimguy
                          Joined:

                          @northsouthdenimguy LOL understood!

                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                          • Clint_DC
                            Clint_D
                            啓蒙家
                            @northsouthdenimguy
                            Joined:

                            @northsouthdenimguy I made my own DIY version about 5 years ago. It was nothing special, just burning some T&G cedar with a propane bottle and a weed torch. Looking back, I didn't do nearly as much of a char as I should have. I saw an exhibition probably a decade ago put on by Delta Millworks where they were doing their own version of Shou Sugi Ban. They've become quite a large distributor for it now if you're ever looking to source some:
                            Delta Millworks

                            Here's the only picture I have handy:

                            IMG_3742.jpeg

                            ATX IH Hoarder

                            last edited by Clint_D northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                            • northsouthdenimguyN
                              northsouthdenimguy
                              啓蒙家
                              @Clint_D
                              Joined:

                              @Clint_D

                              Very cool and thanks for the link!

                              @selveldgesteps

                              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                              • northsouthdenimguyN
                                northsouthdenimguy
                                啓蒙家
                                Joined:

                                Still needs to be pressure wash and sealed but stone drain cover is in place, turned out pretty sweet

                                IMG_6516.jpeg
                                IMG_6517.jpeg

                                @selveldgesteps

                                last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                • GoodtimeJohnnyG
                                  GoodtimeJohnny
                                  Raw and Unwashed
                                  @northsouthdenimguy
                                  Joined:

                                  @northsouthdenimguy I knew you built nice stuff but BRO...... next level quality!

                                  last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                  • northsouthdenimguyN
                                    northsouthdenimguy
                                    啓蒙家
                                    @GoodtimeJohnny
                                    Joined:

                                    @GoodtimeJohnny

                                    Thanks man! It’s definitely a little easier at this price point when people are willing to spend the money on the finishes.

                                    You’ll probably never see anything super slick or too modern from me. I like some good historical details, but nothing too over the top. It’s just almost impossible money wise to do things across the board the way they used to.

                                    You can definitely take bits and pieces from older homes though. A lot of it also depends on where you are, not only in the US but around the world. It’s crazy how some things are considerably less expensive elsewhere and almost impossible to do here without spending a fortune.

                                    These are two of my favorite books. I think they make such a difference in understanding how to use certain historical details in today’s homes without making them feel forced or overly traditional.

                                    IMG_6586.jpeg

                                    @selveldgesteps

                                    last edited by GoodtimeJohnnyG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                    • GoodtimeJohnnyG
                                      GoodtimeJohnny
                                      Raw and Unwashed
                                      @northsouthdenimguy
                                      Joined:

                                      @northsouthdenimguy I'll be reading the bottom one later today 😁 The new girls house is a funky mix between 1840's build and 2017-2020 reno hell, it had been gutted and modernized really well but they left a lot of the finish work and second floor undone. She did a really nice job on the kitchen, pantry and first floor layout and materials, but we both agree it striped a little bit of the charm so we've been adding things back in like faux beams made from the original floor joists and stuff like that. I'll also admit I've definitely shown her the fit pics from HWD and here for inspo/motivation too 😄

                                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                      • First post
                                        Last post
                                      Copyright Iron Heart 2025.