• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Giles and Paula's Great Retirement Adventure

    Iron Heart Meet Ups & Travel
    87
    1.9k
    551.0k
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GilesG
      Giles
      IHUK Crew
      Joined:

      Ramsgate bound.....124nm trip. We'll do it in one hit, so early departure......

      IMG_0136 2.jpg

      IMG_0138.jpg

      "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

      last edited by AetasA 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 13
      • endoE
        endo
        見習いボス
        Joined:

        Bon voyage @Giles and Paula

        si tacuisses

        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • AetasA
          Aetas
          見習いボス
          @Giles
          Joined:

          @Giles Ramsgate is short distance to the Maunsell Forts and Project Red Sands. ?!

          DAT VIDEO

          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • GilesG
            Giles
            IHUK Crew
            Joined:

            Yep, not far..

            "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

            last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • GilesG
              Giles
              IHUK Crew
              Joined:

              Beachy Head....

              IMG_0143.JPG

              IMG_0144.JPG

              Dungeness...

              IMG_0154.jpg

              "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

              last edited by Giles louisboscoL 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 6
              • GilesG
                Giles
                IHUK Crew
                Joined:

                Brilliant Channel 16 broadcast a few mins ago....

                "Unknown Fishing Vessel, unknown fishing vessel crossing Rye Bay from West to East, please turn west immediately, you are entering a live military firing area, I repeat, you are entering a live military firing area"

                Whoops

                "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                last edited by Giles 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 6
                • Tago MagoT
                  Tago Mago
                  Mod Squad
                  Joined:

                  Any distress signals, possibly from an unknown fishing vessel?

                  last edited by goosehdG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                  • goosehdG
                    goosehd
                    Mod Squad
                    @Tago Mago
                    Joined:

                    @Tago-Mago it’s known now…

                    “our policy of no discussions regarding politics, religion, asparagus, and other controversial issues.” - Andrew

                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • GilesG
                      Giles
                      IHUK Crew
                      Joined:

                      As I just said to Goose offline, that guys arse aint going to pucker again......

                      "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                      • GilesG
                        Giles
                        IHUK Crew
                        Joined:

                        Ramsgate to Brighton, and it is a tad lumpy out here...

                        IMG_0191.JPG

                        "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                        last edited by KarolK 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                        • N
                          NickD
                          The Unwoven
                          Joined:

                          Oops! Although glass shelves on a boat doesn't seem like the best idea.

                          Is Ramsgate still as much of a shithole as it used to be? Haven't been there since I moved up north 20 years ago.

                          last edited by GilesG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                          • KarolK
                            Karol
                            啓蒙家
                            @Giles
                            Joined:

                            @Giles crap, but at least the beer was in the cans and not the bottles.
                            Stay safe guys!

                            Favorite:
                            IH-888S-21 | IH-888-XHSib | IH-805 | IH-729-PUR | IH-555-SST-BLK | IH-555S-25MB
                            IHSH-339-SAX | IHSH-293-OD | IHSH-362-BLK | IHSH-409-IB | IHSH-336-OD | IHSB-BIGBUCK-BLK | IHSB-PR-NAT
                            IHV-44-BLK | IHV-02-BLK
                            IHJ-75-BLK | IHJ-79-BLK | IHM-37-ODG

                            last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                            • GilesG
                              Giles
                              IHUK Crew
                              @NickD
                              Joined:

                              @NickD said in Giles and Paula's Great Retirement Adventure:

                              Oops! Although glass shelves on a boat doesn't seem like the best idea.

                              Is Ramsgate still as much of a shithole as it used to be? Haven't been there since I moved up north 20 years ago.

                              It is a funny mixture.

                              Very stoned cadaver-like zombies sitting around on benches, lots of public day drinking (slightly more vocal zombies), proper punch-ups in the street (we got involved in one at 8pm on Sat night, lot of blood involved - not ours) but a really great selection of restaurants. Met a whole slew of lovely people, but mostly they were visitors in the marina......

                              "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                              last edited by Giles 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                              • GilesG
                                Giles
                                IHUK Crew
                                Joined:

                                Brighton for the night…

                                IMG_0200.jpeg

                                "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                                last edited by BridgerB 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 7
                                • BridgerB
                                  Bridger
                                  Raw and Unwashed
                                  @Giles
                                  Joined:

                                  @Giles How cool is she when sleep onboard? Will it get toasty tonight?

                                  last edited by GilesG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                  • louisboscoL
                                    louisbosco
                                    啓蒙家
                                    @Giles
                                    Joined:

                                    @Giles said in Giles and Paula's Great Retirement Adventure:

                                    [Beachy Head....]

                                    love a good beachy head

                                    "Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."

                                    • Harvey Specter
                                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                    • GilesG
                                      Giles
                                      IHUK Crew
                                      @Bridger
                                      Joined:

                                      @Bridger said in Giles and Paula's Great Retirement Adventure:

                                      @Giles How cool is she when sleep onboard? Will it get toasty tonight?

                                      She's fine actually. Open a few windows and/or hatches and we usually have flow of air inside....

                                      "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                      • BridgerB
                                        Bridger
                                        Raw and Unwashed
                                        Joined:

                                        That's good. Plus the water temperature must help keep things cooler too.

                                        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                        • GilesG
                                          Giles
                                          IHUK Crew
                                          Joined:

                                          I think in the cabins downstairs that helps because they are partially below water level.....

                                          "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                          • GilesG
                                            Giles
                                            IHUK Crew
                                            Joined:

                                            I plan to take SAKURA down to The Med next May. I say I, because P does not want to do the long passages, and anyway she will miss Tiger.

                                            I need crew. So if any of you would like a few days or a lot of days cruising adventure, let me know. I will not be able to be specific with dates until we are about to leave, because the weather will dictate when I do leave. So I need a pool of people, and hope that at least one of them can be with me when I leave. Dropping off/picking people en-route is part of the plan

                                            Rough plan.

                                            Gosport - Guernsey (for cheap diesel) - Brittany - Chanel du Four, Brest, Bay of Biscay (36 hours offshore), Galicia, coast of Portugal, Gibraltar (for cheap diesel), Ibiza (42 hours off shore)........

                                            "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                                            last edited by Giles goosehdG Tago MagoT 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 5
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Copyright Iron Heart 2025.