• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Build Notes (New Construction, Older Homes, Renovations, Interesting Finishing and Details)

    General Chat
    18
    84
    3.6k
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic was forked from WHAT ARE YOU DOING TODAY - WAYDT (PICS) goosehd
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • ConBuC
      ConBu
      Haraki san Student
      Joined:

      From time to time we also have customers who challenge us in this regard. And we accept the challenge…

      fb35f0f0-425c-4d5f-871d-abc90af188fa.jpeg
      3712f344-c082-4f3b-9e45-44ee72fa5735.jpeg
      c2bfb772-8819-4e14-9bd9-ef713f1a9929.jpeg

      last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
      • northsouthdenimguyN
        northsouthdenimguy
        啓蒙家
        @ConBu
        Joined:

        @ConBu

        Very nice… 💰💰💰💰

        @selveldgesteps

        last edited by ConBuC 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • ConBuC
          ConBu
          Haraki san Student
          @northsouthdenimguy
          Joined:

          @northsouthdenimguy
          Unfortunately, the client for the marble tub did not pay his last bill in full, therefore only
          💰 💰 💰 of 💰 💰 💰 💰
          As a small, equalising justice, he is currently behind bars in Austria

          last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
          • northsouthdenimguyN
            northsouthdenimguy
            啓蒙家
            @ConBu
            Joined:

            @ConBu

            During the economic downturn from 2008 to 2011, I was doing a lot of renovations because new construction was virtually dead here in the States. The last year I was doing renovations, I got stuck a few times with people refusing to pay their final bill, usually the last 5% to 10% of the job, until they had squeezed every possible extra out of you for free.

            Fortunately, shortly after the last time it happened, I was able to get back into building custom homes again.

            Some people just aren’t good people. They’ll take advantage of you as long as you let them, and somehow convince themselves they’re justified in doing it.

            @selveldgesteps

            last edited by GraemeEG GilesG 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • GraemeEG
              GraemeE
              @northsouthdenimguy
              Joined:

              @northsouthdenimguy im in commercial/industrial mechanical construction but have noticed that after 2008 virtually every job, no matter how big or small, has a "right to lien" clause

              last edited by GraemeE 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
              • GilesG
                Giles
                IHUK Crew
                @northsouthdenimguy
                Joined:

                @northsouthdenimguy said in Build Notes (New Construction, Older Homes, Renovations, Interesting Finishing and Details):

                @ConBu

                I got stuck a few times with people refusing to pay their final bill, usually the last 5% to 10% of the job, until they had squeezed every possible extra out of you for free.

                I fucking hate people who do that.....Be kind to people, you never know when the roles will be reversed....

                "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                last edited by ConBuC northsouthdenimguyN 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 3
                • ConBuC
                  ConBu
                  Haraki san Student
                  @Giles
                  Joined:

                  @Giles
                  My experience, it’s usually the arrogant, full-of-themselves blokes, flaunting their so-called wealth, who end up being nothing but trouble.

                  last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                  • northsouthdenimguyN
                    northsouthdenimguy
                    啓蒙家
                    @Giles
                    Joined:

                    @Giles

                    I’m probably going to give away who I’m talking about by saying this, but I really don’t care. I’ll say without hesitation that restaurant owners and restaurateurs have been some of the worst people I’ve ever worked for. They rarely pay on time, you’re constantly chasing your money, and in my experience they almost always find some reason not to pay the final amount.

                    Case in point, the last one who really stiffed me was a very prominent Southeastern chef and restaurateur who was also a James Beard Award winner. I had done the kitchen in his personal home, which turned out absolutely beautiful, and later did a refresh on one of his restaurants for what I believe was its five year anniversary. Before we touched the hardwood floors, I specifically asked him whether Murphy’s Oil Soap or any other cleaning product had ever been used on them. I don’t remember exactly what the wood was, possibly heart pine. He assured me absolutely not. He said they had a professional cleaning company with explicit instructions to use nothing more than a lightly damp mop and no products whatsoever.

                    My hardwood flooring company came in overnight, lightly sanded the floors, and applied polyurethane. He told me polyurethane was what was already on the floors. I had actually suggested going with an oil finish, but he didn’t want that. He wanted something with a little sheen to it and something he felt would be more durable. The next day, while we were finishing the rest of the refresh, the polyurethane started peeling off the floors. Clearly something had been used on them at some point that prevented the new finish from bonding properly. He didn’t want to take any responsibility for that, and rather than get into a prolonged fight over whose fault it was, we just bit the bullet, sanded the entire floor all the way back down to raw wood, and refinished it properly. Needless to say, that cost me money.

                    Something similar happened on his personal house. When it came time to collect the final 5% or whatever remained, suddenly there were a bunch of additional things he wanted done that were never part of my scope of work. It wasn’t even a tremendous amount of money, but I don’t believe he ever paid me the final balance.

                    The funny part is that I later built out a bakery he was heavily involved with because the bread was being produced for his restaurants. I believe the space was around 10,000 square feet. The shell was already there, but we retrofitted the entire space into the bakery. Thankfully, he wasn’t actually the owner writing the checks, even though he acted like one. I knew the real owner very well, so I got paid properly on that job. Had I been relying on the chef to pay me, I probably would have gotten stiffed again.

                    And just for a little perspective for everybody who says, “Screw that, I wouldn’t have done it. I would have sued him. I would have filed a lien. I would have walked away.” I was broke as a fucking joke at that point. When 2008 hit, I went from doing very well to having essentially zero dollars coming in almost overnight. Every single job mattered. A decent renovation might cover a few months of mortgage payments on the unfortunately more-than-one home I owned at the time, which had seemed like a great idea right up until 2008. A tiny bathroom job might cover the cell phone bill, gas, electricity, groceries, or whatever else was due. I literally started equating every job with which bills it was going to pay.

                    It was a very bleak time, and sometimes the practical decision was to finish the job, eat something you probably shouldn’t have had to eat, collect whatever money you could, and move on to the next one. You can be completely right on principle and still not have the luxury of spending months fighting somebody over a relatively small balance when you need cash flow right then. I wouldn’t change that experience for the world. Well, maybe I would change parts of it, but you know what I mean. Lol.

                    Edit: I should’ve been clearer in that last sentence. I wouldn’t change what I learned during that timeframe or how it changed my overall perspective on what I wanted out of life, at least monetarily and, in some ways, life in general. Other than spending a ridiculous amount of money on boots and clothing, of course. 😉

                    @selveldgesteps

                    last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                    • northsouthdenimguyN
                      northsouthdenimguy
                      啓蒙家
                      Joined:

                      Inside most of the tile works done waiting on lots of the cabinets once the French Oak flooring goes down which you’ll see in the picture and the treads are being installed this week on the staircase flooring has to acclimate. We have the AC going, but it needs to sit in the house for about five days so we’ll install it sometime starting next week hopefully…

                      Hoping these come out right. I had to resize them.

                      This is my next house that I really need to get closed by the end of October.

                      We’re finishing up a lot of the interior trim details right now. Much of the wall treatment is molding applied directly to the drywall to create the panel and box details. As anybody in the business knows, whether you’re doing paint-grade or stain-grade paneling, it gets expensive quickly. On a house like this, space and clearances are also at a premium. The main house is only about 24 feet wide by 60 feet deep, and as insignificant as a couple inches may sound, heavy built-out paneling can start making rooms and hallways feel a little clunky.

                      The crown detail is pretty cool and incorporates a small dentil molding.

                      The pool currently looks like a nasty pond, but directly behind it is the two-car garage with living space above. That space will be the owner’s office with a full bath and a small wet-bar area.

                      The other structure, which you can kind of see to the left of the two-story garage, just barely through the bushes at the edge of the building, is actually a separate one-story structure. That will be the workout room, another office, a full bath, sauna, cold plunge, and a large walk-in shower.

                      This is probably my least favorite stage of a project. Everything is unfinished, dirty, and none of the individual pieces really make sense yet. Even the garden area around the pool looks pretty rough right now. The bushes on the left are overgrown and actually belong to the neighboring property. Once the old chain-link fence comes down, the new fence and vines go in, all of the bluestone is installed, and the landscaping goes in with the new bushes, trees, and planting, that whole area should change dramatically.

                      There’s also a large granite water-feature monument that will sit against the wall at the end of the pool, backing up to the garage. That should be a pretty great focal point once everything is finished.

                      All in all, I think it’s going to come together really well. I just wanted to post a few pictures from this stage because you usually only see these houses once everything is clean, landscaped, furnished, and finished. This is the part where it still looks like a construction site.

                      @selveldgesteps

                      last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • northsouthdenimguyN
                        northsouthdenimguy
                        啓蒙家
                        Joined:

                        IMG_5376.jpeg
                        IMG_5377.jpeg
                        IMG_5378.jpeg

                        @selveldgesteps

                        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                        • northsouthdenimguyN
                          northsouthdenimguy
                          啓蒙家
                          Joined:

                          All of the flooring and stair treads in this house are French oak from a local company. I’m not going to pretend I know every technical detail of what makes it “French oak,” but it’s really nice material with a great look and feel. The matching stair treads are a nice touch too and help everything feel consistent throughout the house.

                          IMG_5468.jpeg
                          IMG_5466.jpeg

                          IMG_5469.jpeg

                          @selveldgesteps

                          last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                          • northsouthdenimguyN
                            northsouthdenimguy
                            啓蒙家
                            Joined:

                            IMG_5379.jpeg
                            IMG_5380.jpeg
                            IMG_5381.jpeg

                            @selveldgesteps

                            last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                            • northsouthdenimguyN
                              northsouthdenimguy
                              啓蒙家
                              Joined:

                              One of the main ideas with this house, and really this little 10-unit neighborhood, was to make the architecture feel like it evolved over time rather than being built all at once. Almost like the original house had been there for decades, then a garage with living space was added later, followed by a small outbuilding, pool, and garden. The different masses and rooflines help it feel more organic and layered, like it grew over generations.

                              @selveldgesteps

                              last edited by meatmarketdenim1M 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                              • meatmarketdenim1M
                                meatmarketdenim1
                                Haraki san Expert
                                @northsouthdenimguy
                                Joined:

                                @northsouthdenimguy
                                Damn these are amazing looking homes, great job man. Are you a sub developer? I def can relate on how hard it is to get projects going permits, inspections, finding the right contractors etc. I’m a property manager in San Franciso. Currently almost at the end of a 350k remodel on one building. Part of a mixed commercial/ residential/parking lot real estate portfolio. We Started back in January, hopefully be done in 6-8 weeks. The city does not make it easy to get any work done,

                                last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                • northsouthdenimguyN
                                  northsouthdenimguy
                                  啓蒙家
                                  @meatmarketdenim1
                                  Joined:

                                  @meatmarketdenim1

                                  Thanks!

                                  I’m a General Contractor/New home builder

                                  This particular project, the 10 homes, is something I do for a local developer as a fee builder, and we’re also partners on the back end ($). It’s kind of a unique situation. I basically control everything on the building side just like I would through my own company. I price the homes, manage the budgets, hire and manage the subcontractors, and make sure the projects are built where they need to be financially. The big difference is I don’t have to deal with all the accounting. I’ve known them for almost 31 years, and since 2013 I’ve built more than 200 custom homes this way.

                                  I definitely prefer the way our companies come together on these projects versus doing everything as a one-off through my own company, but I still like keeping my name out there and doing some projects independently.

                                  I still do one-off custom builds solely through my own company, like the standalone house on eight acres I posted the other day, and I’m currently in the planning stages of another custom on six acres that will hopefully start early next year.

                                  I’m sure San Francisco is a bear. It’s hard enough here in Atlanta but I can’t imagine there or NYC Etc.

                                  Good luck on getting wrapped up in the coming weeks

                                  @selveldgesteps

                                  last edited by northsouthdenimguy 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                  • louisboscoL
                                    louisbosco
                                    啓蒙家
                                    Joined:

                                    fuck I really love that tub

                                    "Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."

                                    • Harvey Specter
                                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                    • ConBuC
                                      ConBu
                                      Haraki san Student
                                      Joined:

                                      Our work is mainly focused on tiles, natural stone, terrazzo and glass mosaics, so our portfolio isn’t quite as broad as taking on the refurbishment or construction of entire houses.
                                      for example, here installing a terrazzo hot tub in a private spa.

                                      IMG_6150_01.JPG
                                      IMG_6170_2.JPG
                                      IMG_7089_3.JPG
                                      IMG_7094_4.JPG
                                      IMG_7099_5.JPG
                                      IMG_7101_6.JPG

                                      last edited by northsouthdenimguyN 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 5
                                      • GilesG
                                        Giles
                                        IHUK Crew
                                        Joined:

                                        What was wrong with one of these 😂

                                        "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

                                        last edited by Giles 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                        • northsouthdenimguyN
                                          northsouthdenimguy
                                          啓蒙家
                                          @ConBu
                                          Joined:

                                          @ConBu

                                          I love stuff like that. It’s cool seeing different products and everything from something affordable to super high-end is interesting to me.

                                          @selveldgesteps

                                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                          • northsouthdenimguyN
                                            northsouthdenimguy
                                            啓蒙家
                                            Joined:

                                            The next house courtyard and pool area are starting to come together in this little 10 unit neighborhood. We’re doing French pattern natural stone around the pool, and it will also carry over to the small stoop outside the outbuilding, finished with a granite border. The outbuilding has a kind of open studio space on the main level with a bedroom and bath above.

                                            One of the cooler details is the little fabricated steel panel roof with spear accents.

                                            We also have foundations, plumbing, and everything else going into the next three houses. Two of those are an attached wall to wall townhome unit, and the third is a detached single family house. Even then, there are retaining walls between all of these units, so some are true standalones while others mix in townhomes or outbuildings that attach in different ways to the main house or even the house next door.

                                            There are just a lot of different little things going on that make this a really tricky neighborhood to build. Lots of elevation changes, courtyards that sit lower than the outbuildings but are at the same level as the main house, and all kinds of odd little conditions to work through. Very cool and interesting stuff, but painstakingly slow at times.

                                            IMG_5614.jpeg
                                            IMG_5625.jpeg
                                            IMG_5623.jpeg
                                            IMG_5624.jpeg

                                            @selveldgesteps

                                            last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Copyright Iron Heart 2025.