• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Gravel Bikes

    General Chat
    35
    165
    19.4k
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • scarfmaceS
      scarfmace
      Haraki san Expert
      Joined:

      @Brock Thats it right there! Freedom in nature. Love it

      "I hate a man that talks when he's got nothing to say." – Woodrow Call

      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
      • BrockB
        Brock
        Raw and Unwashed
        Joined:

        Good times! 🤙🏻

        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
        • TylerT
          Tyler
          IHUK Crew
          @Brock
          Joined:

          @Brock I've immediately added this to my bucket list... but I need to know the details, where is this? what route? - it looks incredible!

          last edited by BrockB 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
          • BrockB
            Brock
            Raw and Unwashed
            @Tyler
            Joined:

            @Tyler
            It’s called the Oregon Cascade Volcanic Arc or (OCVA) I’ll add a link to the route

            https://www.omtm.cc/ocva400

            The OMTM guys did it pretty fast. We opted for a more enjoyable speed and completed it in 6 days. We stayed at two hotsprings and checked out a lot of off route water features and springs along the way.

            last edited by Brock 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 5
            • RobeOfTheMagiR
              RobeOfTheMagi
              Iron Heart Deity
              Joined:

              IMG_5124.jpeg

              IMG_5810.jpeg

              Not really a gravel bike, it defies categories.

              "Every day, once a day, give yourself a little present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."
              FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper

              last edited by RobeOfTheMagi 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 4
              • RobeOfTheMagiR
                RobeOfTheMagi
                Iron Heart Deity
                @Brock
                Joined:

                @Brock You guys are really doing this bicycle thing right ♥️.

                "Every day, once a day, give yourself a little present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."
                FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper

                last edited by BrockB 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • BrockB
                  Brock
                  Raw and Unwashed
                  @RobeOfTheMagi
                  Joined:

                  @RobeOfTheMagi trying to at least! I wish I had more time to ride… your Riv looks sick! I bet it rips on gravel 🤘🏻

                  last edited by RobeOfTheMagiR 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • RobeOfTheMagiR
                    RobeOfTheMagi
                    Iron Heart Deity
                    @Brock
                    Joined:

                    @Brock with it’s velocity quill rims and RH Herse Oracle Ridge tyres it is really swift on many surfaces 💜.

                    "Every day, once a day, give yourself a little present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."
                    FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper

                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                    • RobeOfTheMagiR
                      RobeOfTheMagi
                      Iron Heart Deity
                      Joined:

                      Happy trails:

                      7AA8B48C-AACA-4157-A8F0-486ECAEB471C.jpeg

                      "Every day, once a day, give yourself a little present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."
                      FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper

                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 4
                      • scarfmaceS
                        scarfmace
                        Haraki san Expert
                        Joined:

                        IMG_20260428_201141_303-EDIT.jpg
                        short evening ride to clear my head

                        "I hate a man that talks when he's got nothing to say." – Woodrow Call

                        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 5
                        • BrockB
                          Brock
                          Raw and Unwashed
                          Joined:

                          Getting ready to head out on a 5 day adventure

                          IMG_8642.jpeg
                          IMG_8646.jpeg

                          Replacing jockey wheels and setting up racks and packs..

                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 5
                          • Bobcat SigB
                            Bobcat Sig
                            Raw and Unwashed
                            Joined:

                            It’s timely that this thread popped up again. After jumping back into bicycles earlier this year with an acquisition of a GasGas ECC 5 eMTB, my attention had turned towards a gravel bike - something I can pedal from the house, functions as a city bike or sorts, and gets me out on all the gravel that abound here in the west when I’m not a motorcycle.

                            I’ve been leaning towards a Specialized Diverge of some flavor, likely with a SRAM components set. I’m doing a bit of work with them this year, which is why they have me attention, but it begs the question - what should one look for in a gravel bike? I know, a wide-ranging question…

                            Safety third

                            last edited by BrockB 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                            • BrockB
                              Brock
                              Raw and Unwashed
                              Joined:

                              Heading out!

                              IMG_8696.jpeg
                              IMG_8700.jpeg
                              IMG_8705.jpeg
                              IMG_8712.jpeg

                              last edited by InorganicI 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 6
                              • BrockB
                                Brock
                                Raw and Unwashed
                                @Bobcat Sig
                                Joined:

                                @Bobcat-Sig

                                Comfort and functionality over anything else.
                                12 speed 1X drivetrain.
                                Clearance for 48+ tires.
                                I like 650b wheels because it keeps the CG lower.
                                Dropper post is nice.
                                It really depends on what you plan to do with the bike. I have different preferences for bikepacking vs. gravel riding vs. road

                                last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                • InorganicI
                                  Inorganic
                                  Haraki san Student
                                  @Brock
                                  Joined:

                                  @Brock SHITTTT!! Damn, this looks SO rad. Would you mind sharing which route you're taking? I've never done bike camping - but shit I need to. What is a mild first timer trip you would recommend in OR (as you know I live in PDX - I'm still rocking that WESCO shit I picked up from you that day). Also is there a place folks post what their carrying on their rigs? I'd be curious to learn what goes in to a trip like this...

                                  last edited by BrockB D 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                  • BrockB
                                    Brock
                                    Raw and Unwashed
                                    @Inorganic
                                    Joined:

                                    @Inorganic still out here. I’ll hit you up when we get back.

                                    last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                    • BrockB
                                      Brock
                                      Raw and Unwashed
                                      Joined:

                                      Some more pics from the trip

                                      IMG_8722.jpeg
                                      IMG_0362.jpeg
                                      IMG_8752.jpeg
                                      IMG_8762.jpeg
                                      IMG_8775.jpeg
                                      IMG_8781.jpeg
                                      IMG_8791.jpeg

                                      last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                                      • BrockB
                                        Brock
                                        Raw and Unwashed
                                        Joined:

                                        IMG_8795.jpeg
                                        IMG_8801.jpeg
                                        IMG_8809.jpeg
                                        IMG_8817.jpeg
                                        IMG_8815.jpeg
                                        IMG_8869.jpeg
                                        IMG_8833.jpeg
                                        IMG_8835.jpeg
                                        IMG_8847.jpeg
                                        IMG_8850.jpeg
                                        IMG_8855.jpeg
                                        IMG_8863.jpeg

                                        last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                                        • BrockB
                                          Brock
                                          Raw and Unwashed
                                          Joined:

                                          @Inorganic
                                          There’s an app called Ride With GPS. It’s the absolute best way to not only find/browse routes in your area by looking at a map but it’s also great for creating routes.
                                          I created the route that we used for this trip. We also had quite a bit of on course rerouting because of that… there’s a lot of great tools on the app that help with routing like heat maps etc but it’s not perfect. And that adds to the adventure.
                                          Another great local resource is OMTM
                                          (Our Mother The Mountain) they have created some amazing local routes for all skill levels in the pnw.
                                          As far as what gear to take, I’m sure there’s plenty of Reddit posts on that.

                                          This is the route we took:

                                          IMG_8870.jpeg

                                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                                          • InorganicI
                                            Inorganic
                                            Haraki san Student
                                            Joined:

                                            damn boy.
                                            this looks rad. I gleaned a few ideas from your photo re:set up, shit to bring etc. I dig that you brought camp chairs!! when we're backpacking I seldom bring one and opt for the lighter hammock, but I am often bummed that I decided not to ha!

                                            thanks for the tips on the apps. i'm stoked to get into some new adventures. i once did a ride from tokyo-->osaka on a fixie with no planning, and very little 'stuff' but i had youth on my side, so sleeping on cardboard sans tent/sleeping bag etc. was a no brainer - there's no way i'd survive that today.

                                            last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Copyright Iron Heart 2025.