• Home
    • Recent
    • Calendar
    • Register
    • Login
    Iron Heart Forum
    Iron Heart Forum

    Iron Heart - Coveted - The Wall Street Journal

    Random questions to which you seek an answer

    The Resource Centre
    759
    19.2k
    7.7m
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GilesG
      Giles
      IHUK Crew
      @Tago Mago
      Joined:

      @Tago-Mago said in Random questions to which you seek an answer:

      Jan 01-Mar 31

      That is my kind of long weekend......

      "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

      last edited by Tago MagoT 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • Tago MagoT
        Tago Mago
        Mod Squad
        @Giles
        Joined:

        @Giles business is good at the moment, but I’m afraid I won’t get that much time off. Also, I may need some time off in May

        last edited by GilesG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • GilesG
          Giles
          IHUK Crew
          @Tago Mago
          Joined:

          @Tago-Mago said in Random questions to which you seek an answer:

          may need some time off in May

          1st of May is the "lets go".......

          "OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
          • Bobcat SigB
            Bobcat Sig
            Raw and Unwashed
            Joined:

            This is very much a ‘where do I post this question’ question.

            I’m after my next pair of denim. And after getting frustratingly punted from Reddit’s largest subreddit related to this, I come to one of the nicest places on the internet to ask my fellow denim heads; where would I post here to ask about which jean I might buy - Iron Heart and otherwise? I know we have a multitude of threads for many makes outside of IH, but what about a question that spans some of these?

            Safety third

            last edited by AdamJA 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • AdamJA
              AdamJ
              IHUK Crew
              @Bobcat Sig
              Joined:

              @Bobcat-Sig here is a good as place as any! Then once we've narrowed it down, you can ask more pointed questions over on the respective thread.

              What weight are you looking for

              What colour are you looking for

              What cut of bottoms to you prefer to wear

              How hot it is where you live

              The devil is in the detail..

              last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
              • Bobcat SigB
                Bobcat Sig
                Raw and Unwashed
                Joined:

                @AdamJ you're the best. Thank you.

                Here's how I'm thinking about this new pair; black, western-style cut. Or at the very least, accommodating to cowboy boots. No denim weight that I'm targeting. Most seem to come in between 13 to 19 oz, but I'm good with any weight. If I were really pressed, I might trend to something lighter since I'm flush with heavyweights, including three pair of IH. And as for weather, I'm in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. It's not unlike much of England.

                The options (all pictured) are what I'm working through:

                My standard (the standard?) is the Wrangler 13 MWZ. They offer an accommodating top block and look great with boots, hence the Cowboy Cut moniker. The black MWZ 13 is always an option, but it's not selvage.

                13MWZWK-ALT6.webp
                [Source: wrangler.com]

                Wrangler Blue Bell black. Selvage, similar cut to the 13 MWZ, albeit with a much higher price. Bonus is that it comes in a 34 inseam, so no hemming. Oh, and a leather patch!

                112386080-ALT2.webp
                [Source: wrangler.com]

                Freenote Wilkes Western. I had this noted from a while back. Fits the bill, except the leg opening is narrow at ~8". And the pockets are a bit low on the seat.

                AW23Current0912Wilkes_14.50Indigo_Contrast_Thread_AW23.jpg
                [Source: Freenote Cloth]

                The ol' AI Machine suggested the Fullcount 1101. They look sweet, and I don't yet own a Fullcount. Issue here is that the inseam stops at 32 inches. Very little is left for stacking.

                2025_12_Product_Fullcount_1101BK14ozBlackSelvedgeDenim-ClassicStraightFit_809.jpg.webp
                [Source: Blue Owl Workshop]

                Brave Star Mojave. This was the original inspiration... and the usual Brave Star caveats apply. I have one pair of Mojaves, but I get some bucketing with my boots due to the tapered knee. And there's always rolling of the dice with the fit and finish here - I ordered a pair of their Desert Bone Mojave, and I swear it was Skinny Straight with Mojave pockets... I have two pair of True Straights that kind of work, but I don't like the 8-inch opening to wear with cowboy boots. Still, the Mojave remains a strong contender.

                MojaveWC_13ozShadow_flat-4858_2000x2000.jpg
                [Source: Brave Star Selvage]

                Iron Heart 634. While currently available in indigo, I don't think black is currently available. Also a strong contender, albeit with a lower rise.

                20250813-DSC_1682-Edit.jpg.webp
                [Source: IH UK]

                Others I considered and aren't quite hitting the mark:

                • TCB 50s: much bigger thighs

                • Sd'A Regular Straight: similar to the TCBs, big thighs

                • Sugar Cane 1947 Straight: I already own two Mister Freemdom pairs that are manufactured by Sugar Cane. I also have a pair of Sugar Cane Okinawa fiber blend. So maybe?

                • Iron Heart 1955: Close, but the thighs are bigger than I typically pefer and a bit too much taper, with the hem coming in under 8.5 inches

                What else should I consider?

                Safety third

                last edited by Tago MagoT 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • Tago MagoT
                  Tago Mago
                  Mod Squad
                  @Bobcat Sig
                  Joined:

                  @Bobcat-Sig have you tried the compare tool on the website? This lets you add up to 4 items to have the measurements of these at a glance.

                  Do they have to be black or would overdyed or indigo/black also be an option?

                  last edited by Bobcat SigB 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                  • Bobcat SigB
                    Bobcat Sig
                    Raw and Unwashed
                    @Tago Mago
                    Joined:

                    @Tago-Mago Great questions. Yes, I have tried the comparo tool and seem to land on the 634. The biggest driver in this quest is the leg, its taper (or lack thereof), and hem measurement.

                    As for color, no, it doesn't absolutely need to be black. It's merely a preference. As you'll probably see in the Show Us Your Boots thread, I have a raft of new pairs that will pair well with black or dark denim. Indigo is always an option, certainly. Overdyed is not a color I've yet experienced. It's certainly intriguing.

                    Safety third

                    last edited by Tago MagoT 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • Tago MagoT
                      Tago Mago
                      Mod Squad
                      @Bobcat Sig
                      Joined:

                      @Bobcat-Sig one cut that has only been available at Iron Heart Germany so far is the 684, a relaxed straight fit. This will be released in a few different denims in the future, including 14oz black/black.

                      Here are the measurements for the first model: IH-684S-16-GER.

                      You could also check the Hall of Fades to get an idea of how the different denims develop over time

                      last edited by Bobcat SigB 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                      • goosehdG
                        goosehd
                        Mod Squad
                        Joined:

                        I have been able to wear 666’s, 634’s, and 684’s with cowboy and engineer boots. However, those are the only jeans that I wear, so I don’t know if any others work 😂

                        I know, helpful, not helpful…

                        “our policy of no discussions regarding politics, religion, asparagus, and other controversial issues.” - Andrew

                        last edited by goosehd 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                        • Bobcat SigB
                          Bobcat Sig
                          Raw and Unwashed
                          @Tago Mago
                          Joined:

                          @Tago-Mago said in Random questions to which you seek an answer:

                          @Bobcat-Sig one cut that has only been available at Iron Heart Germany so far is the 684, a relaxed straight fit. This will be released in a few different denims in the future, including 14oz black/black.

                          Here are the measurements for the first model: IH-684S-16-GER.

                          You could also check the Hall of Fades to get an idea of how the different denims develop over time

                          The 684 looks like an interesting cut. A little big in the legs, but exciting that there may be more coming! Thanks for suggesting those jeans.

                          I'll check the Hall of Fades for the OD results.

                          @goosehd said in Random questions to which you seek an answer:

                          I have been able to wear 666’s, 634’s, and 684’s with cowboy and engineer boots. However, those are the only jeans that I wear, so I don’t know if any others work 😂

                          I know, helpful, not helpful…

                          LOL, all good. Confirmation that the 634 works well with cowoby boots helps. I know we have some here that sport western boots, but we seem to be heavily skewed towards work and heritage boots. The 666 is a cut I'd love to try, if only for the name, but my Viking legs just won't fit, nor will my backside. 😆

                          Safety third

                          last edited by 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          Copyright Iron Heart 2025.